theliteraturevixen

Kagama -The Literaturevixen

I love reading everything from fantasy to historical romances. On a constant quest for more books to read.

179 BOOKS

The Seduction of Emily by Rachel Brimble

The Seduction of Emily - Rachel Brimble

Since girlhood, Emily Darson has accepted that she will marry Nicholas, the son of her father's trusted business partner. The marriage contract safeguards her family legacy,

Emily's fortune, and everything she values--except her independence. Only when a sinfully handsome scoundrel enters her life does Emily realize quite how much a loveless match will cost her.

Will Samson has advanced from expert pickpocket to confidence trickster of the highest caliber. Now he has come to Bath to exact vengeance on the man who destroyed his mother--the man Emily will soon marry. But from his first glimpse of the enemy's bewitching, spirited fiancée, Will's plan changes.

Amid the ballrooms and salons of elegant society, heated glances explode into scandalous kisses. Revenge is sweet, but surrender will be irresistible. . .

From the moment the heroine winks at the hero I should have known this wasnt going to be enjoyable for me-and I was right. I guess I was firmly convinced of it when the hero takes one look at her and falls in love lust.

The writing or characters just didnt do anything for me but as I read on something else started bothering me even more. For example when the heroines (evil)fiancee buys her an emerald necklace and then goes on berating her for not being up to his standards I started to be reminded strongly of a certain movie.

When she heard the faint click of the necklace locking into place, Emily closed her eyes. A ball being fitted to a chain. Nicholas’s fingers lingered for an unnecessarily long time at her nape and nausea swirled inside her. "There. Now you belong to me." His breath whispered hot against her ear.

So a historical romance where the heroine is a spirited young woman trapped in an engagement to a bad bad man who buys her a necklace,but she is falling for another man who is lower class.

And the  necklace is called The Heart of Kingston.Sound familiar?

"I will never be yours mentally, emotionally, or physically." Pride swelled in her chest. "Will Samson took it all."

He stared for a long moment, revulsion contorting his face until his mouth curved into a slow grin. His eyes gleamed. "Oh, Emily. I am not a fool. I know you are a slut and I know Mr. Samson has had you."

Titanic

Cal:Where are you going? To him? Is that it? To be a whore to that gutter rat?

Rose:I'd rather be his whore than your wife

But in Titanic we have the mother to act as an incentive to the marriage in this...well

Even her own father indicates its fine with him if she breaks the engagement.He loves his daughter too much to subject her to the hell a marriage with this guy would be. But no shes forges on determined to get her hands on the money no matter if she has to marry a domineering violent man. Its for her children (daughters) so they can have a better life

“Everything will be there for my children, though. I hate the fact money paves the way, makes acceleration easier, but it does . I will not forsake money that is rightly mine at a cost to my children, your grandchildren.”

Ok...umm you do know your children would also be HIS childen? So you are willfully wanting to marry a violent man and exposing children to him.

Have you no regard for decorum?"

He smiled. "Decorum?"

Not so long ago you were winking at him ! Now you care about decorum?!

This book supposedly takes place in 1890s but there is nothing about the characters behavior that makes me believe in them as actually living in that time.I also felt no connection with or between these two characters or what their appeal for each other was. I guess they just found each other hot?

And the descriptions were all so over the top

An idea burst in her brain like a stick of dynamite.

Sounds painful that.

her skin as smooth as glass over sweet apple cheeks.

She looks like a porcelain doll?

.Its fine to be inspired by something and take it to put a twist on a story but this was just a forgettable story. .At least it was free.