theliteraturevixen

Kagama -The Literaturevixen

I love reading everything from fantasy to historical romances. On a constant quest for more books to read.

179 BOOKS

Stolen Songbird by Danielle L. Jensen

Stolen Songbird - Danielle L. Jensen

For five centuries, a witch’s curse has bound the trolls to their city beneath the ruins of Forsaken Mountain. Time enough for their dark and nefarious magic to fade from human memory and into myth. But a prophesy has been spoken of a union with the power to set the trolls free, and when Cécile de Troyes is kidnapped and taken beneath the mountain, she learns there is far more to the myth of the trolls than she could have imagined.

Cécile has only one thing on her mind after she is brought to Trollus: escape. Only the trolls are clever, fast, and inhumanly strong. She will have to bide her time, wait for the perfect opportunity.

But something unexpected happens while she’s waiting – she begins to fall for the enigmatic troll prince to whom she has been bonded and married. She begins to make friends. And she begins to see that she may be the only hope for the half-bloods – part troll, part human creatures who are slaves to the full-blooded trolls. There is a rebellion brewing. And her prince, Tristan, the future king, is its secret leader.

I got this free from Netgalley and this my honest review of it

Farmers daughter Cecile thought she was on her way to the big city and to finally make her dream of being a singer on the great stages come true.

Instead she finds herself betrayed by the man who was to escort her there,tied up and taken through a secret passage wich leads to Trollus,city of Trolls. The city has since many centuries ago a witch cast a powerful curse on the trolls wich made the Forsaken mountain collapse on their city and trap them inside.

But a prophecy has been foretold of a daughter of the sun who would break the curse if bonded by a Prince of Trollus and they have been searching for this girl.

Too bad for Cecile that she fit all the requirements...

And as it turns out neither Cecile or her intended, the troll Prince and heir to the throne Tristan is very enthusiastic about this marriage.

He is infuriatingly superior and mocking in his behavior towards her but is this the true Tristan or is there something else under the surface wich she has yet to discover.? Its a fact that trolls cannot lie but they are remarkably good at keeping secrets despite that as Cecile comes to know very well.

Now Cecile finds that she has has to navigate the precarious edge of troll society and politics while trying to figure out how to escape and not to mention getting involved in a struggle against social injustice involving the half-bloods of Trollus.

Trolls have a rigid hierarchy highest up is the royal family and then the full blooded trolls and lowest on the bottom the half-bloods. The offspring of intermarriage between humans and trolls they are considered nothing more than slaves and servants.

If the curse is broken then it will not only free the trolls but also the halfbloods from their slavery. And everyone will live happily ever after right?

But things may be more complicated than that.

So here is what I thought about this book.

Trolls? Abducted bride? Underground cities? it reminded me a bit of the Hollow Kingdom

First thing of all that cover is just magical and I like how it actually corresponds with something that happens in the book.

It also a very  likeable heroine in Cecile she may screw up at times but you never find yourself thinking she is obnoxious or TSTL. Shes just a girl who finds herself in a strange new situation and tries to make the best of the situation.

We also get Tristans viewpoint wich makes us symphatize with him instead of having him remain this aloof and inscrutable character.Made him seem more human ((though he is a troll but you get what I mean))

Through having both of their viewpoints we see them getting to know each other and slowly but surely start to have feelings for each other.

This type of narrative clearly shows the authors beginning as a historical romance author and the writing throughout the story reminded me many time of the genre.If you take away the magic you have the plot for a historical romance with an arranged marriage as a starting point.

Including evil in-laws

As a regular reader of historical romances I didnt have a problem with this. But there some scenes wich in a historical romance should have led to something more intimate...then they are conveniently interrupted.

Its a YA after all lol

And last but not least there is no love triangle. Not a one.

Though I could easily have seen one evolve between Cecile and Marc. I liked Marc a lot and found his backstory very moving. Because of this it makes him sympathize with the relationship between Cecile and Tristan and want to help them achieve their happy ending at least.

Please,please author for future books you need to find a way that Marc can be happy again. He deserves it so much.

I would also like to commend the author for introducing another female character who have a thing for the heroines love interest but doesnt get slutshamed. Just for that the author has my respect.

There is another thing wich I have to mention and that is I couldnt help but notice that is that several of the minor supporting cast were a bit thin on the ground when it comes to their characterization. I wouldnt call them flat but I wish I had known more about them.

So my final verdict on this book is that it has some things that could have been more developed.The book could have benefited from having been a little bit shorter and and the there was a bit in the middle that dragged but overall the story keeps you engaged and balances dramatic scenes with some humorous moments well.

I think if I had read this time when I was a teenage girl I would have enjoyed it even more. Would have devoured it.

Will I read the next book in the series? Most likely as I want to find out what will happen next.

Did anyone else notice Ceciles last name is de Troyes? Chretien de Troyes is considered the inventor of the modern novel. I thought that was a nice little homage.