theliteraturevixen

Kagama -The Literaturevixen

I love reading everything from fantasy to historical romances. On a constant quest for more books to read.

179 BOOKS

Above by Leah Bobet

Above - Leah Bobet

Matthew has loved Ariel from the moment he found her in the tunnels, her bee’s wings falling away. They live in Safe, an underground refuge for those fleeing the city Above—like Whisper, who speaks to ghosts, and Jack Flash, who can shoot lightning from his fingers.

But one terrifying night, an old enemy invades Safe with an army of shadows, and only Matthew, Ariel, and a few friends escape Above. As Matthew unravels the mystery of Safe’s history and the shadows’ attack, he realizes he must find a way to remake his home—not just for himself, but for Ariel, who needs him more than ever before.

I just couldnt finish this book. It was too strange but not in a "I-cant believe I like this weird and unusual book" kind of way

A short plot summary.

The main character is a guy named Matthew who lives in the underground sewers after some kind of post-apopalictic event.This caused people to develop mutations.

Some time ago before the start of the book he found a lost girl with the wings of a bee and took her home.And he loves her A LOT. Because she is beautiful and her hair shines like matches. Or something like that.

Thats all I managed to decipher from the story before I gave up.The writing was just so convoluted and pretentious and I the characters sketchy at the best.

Might have something to do with the fact that the characters speak and think in an uncomphrehensible way in one moment then they switch back to something more normal again.And you think "ok were back on track" and thats when the main character starts his inner monologue and its so disjointed you loose interest again.

The author also writes poetry and while poetry can be a narrative it doesnt work As I read along there would be more or less normal dialogue (albeit a bit stilted) but then the author would drift back into poetic descriptions of things.

It was almost like being reminded constantly that she wasnt just an author,she was also a POET.

Here is a brief sample.Not the worst of them but it gives you an idea.

"Its cold Above.The first time I went up there I thought it would be warmer,with all that stone and dirt and loose history trapping the cold into Safe"

I just couldnt do it.Maybe if I had cared about the characters.But I just didnt.