theliteraturevixen

Kagama -The Literaturevixen

I love reading everything from fantasy to historical romances. On a constant quest for more books to read.

179 BOOKS

Blue hair isnt enough to make you interesting.

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone) - Laini Taylor

Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war. Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages--not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.

When one of the strangers--beautiful, haunted Akiva--fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?

I had read some of the other books from this author but they didnt thrill me overly much. But since I saw some nice reviews for this I thought "why not give her a second third try?"

Meet the main character Kaoru, she has blue hair,tattoos and a MYSTERIOUS PAST.

Also she lives in Prag,where with some supernatural beings she runs errands for. Supernatural errands. She also makes sketches of her otherwordly friend to show her normal friends. But everyone just assumes its just part of being a quirky girl- and she is SO super quirky.

Not to mention that her best friends family owns a puppet theater (so bohemian!) Because a quirky maincharacter with blue hair needs to have a quirky best friend.

I just dont like this "europe is magical" mindset.Die for Me by Amy Plum also had this. (and dont get me started on that one)

Also she has this douchy ex-boyfriend that creeps around sneaking into her art schools kroki classes to flash himself at her.Seriously. I just wanted her to him him with a sledgehammer or something but no such luck. What happened to girl power?

Then a bunch of vaguely significant events happen. Cant really remember what they were but they didnt stick. I admit to skimming a big part of it.

Things become a little bit more interesting when handsome and lethal angel-boy Akiva shows up in the story but THEN...

...the book ends abruptly on a cliffhanger.

Really author? Do you think I am going fall for that trick and buy the next book just so I can find out more about some characters I dont even like or care for?

NO I WONT

At least the cover was nice.