theliteraturevixen

Kagama -The Literaturevixen

I love reading everything from fantasy to historical romances. On a constant quest for more books to read.

179 BOOKS

SPOILER ALERT!

Stardancer by Ariel McArran

Stardancer - Ariel MacArran

Kinara crosses into Az-kye space seeking revenge but her act of vengeance goes horribly wrong when her ship is captured. Defeated and enslaved Kinara offers herself to Aidar, the Az-kye commander, in exchange for her crew’s protection. But this warrior wants much more than just her submission, he wants her to give herself completely . . .

Kinara (Kinna to friends) Maere is on a mission on revenge against the enemy who killed her brother during his first mission in space.She decides to steal a spaceship and convinces some cadets in training to come along.Not surprisingly things dont go according to plan when they encounter the ship that attacked her Brothers vessel and engage it in combat only to find themselves outmanouvered when their lifesupport is taken down by the Az-kye ship.

Kinara and the rest of the crew loses consciousness.

The next thing she knows is waking up to a handsome man caressing her hair and staring at her.Things come back to her and she recognizes him as her hated enemy and furthermore he proclaims her and the rest of the Tellarans his slaves!

Angrily she fights back until Aidar as the Az-kye is called makes her an ultimatum-become his and her people will go free...

Stardancer pleasantly surprised me oh the plot has been done before
for example in books like No Words Alone but in this version the progression from enemies to lovers felt more fitting in with the story and even Kinara being confused about her feelings felt more authentic than in those sci-fi romances where the girl ends up in bed with the Alien hero and suddenly there is a magic change and she goes along with Everything the hero wants. In this book the heroine is friendly but she wont be bullied around.

We also go into the heros head a bit.At first he only finds Kinara fascinating because of the way she looks,but then he starts to see beyond that and trying reconcile what he has been thaught to feel as opposed to what he is feeling.I liked that Aidar was grappling with his own insecurities...made him seem more relatable.

I also appreciated that the author made a pretense of Tellaran and Az-kye both being aliens because then I could put aside my snort of disbelief an heroine that falls in love with an Alien that looks so human its crazy.In this case I could think "ok so they are from different Worlds but its not unthinkable that they could have shared a common ancestor far far back" and I could go on Reading the book.

I can deny that Tellarans are supposed to be the human substitue and the ones we should identify ...with at first but then things get complicated as loyalties are switched and everyones pre-conception is challenged.

There was even a humorous scene where Aidar is trying to court Kinara the Tellaran way...and of course he get is so wrong.I wish there had been more of that.

There was some slight editing mistakes and I wish some more had gone into the ending.Its fine and HEA and all that but more would have been good.

and one more thing..."frack" is a very bad disguise for the actual slang word.It disrupted the story when one of the Tellarans would use it.Call a shovel a shovel or not use it at all.

But overall I liked the book.