theliteraturevixen

Kagama -The Literaturevixen

I love reading everything from fantasy to historical romances. On a constant quest for more books to read.

179 BOOKS

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen

This will not really be a review of Pride and Prejudice but more of an unabashed positive commentary on it. I might gush.You have been warned.

Its one of those books that I just cant find any fault with.

Pride and prejudice has been one of my favorite books ever since I was 14 years old and loaned it from the library and while at first I found the language very oldfashioned it wasnt long before I got involved in the lives of Elizabeth Bennet her rowdy family and her acquitaince with the arrogant Mr Darcy.

Whenever I re-read it I feel I discover new things to love about it. The love story. The witty writing,the satire of social mores in the regency era.

But it wasnt until I was in my early 20s that I came to own my own copy of it. Dont know why exactly but so it was.

It was given to me as a christmas gift from my sister and to make it an even more thoughtful present she told me that incredibly enough that none of the two bookstores she visited had any books by Jane Austen available.

No copies whatsoever of the works of one of the most famous authors in history.

Sounds unbelievable doesnt it?

So instead she was redirected to an used bookstore and there she found a copy. Not new and shiny but it was one of the best presents I have ever recieved

I will also have fond memories of the time when me and my mother  bought the mini-series on dvd (the one with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth...really is there any other? lol) and watched the whole thing through in one go.

Its a beautiful thing I think when a mother and daughter can bond over their love of  period costume drama and Colin Firth