theliteraturevixen

Kagama -The Literaturevixen

I love reading everything from fantasy to historical romances. On a constant quest for more books to read.

179 BOOKS

SPOILER ALERT!
The Demon Lover - Juliet Dark, Carol Goodman

I gasped, or tried to. My mouth opened, but I couldn’t draw breath. His lips, pearly wet, parted and he blew into my mouth. My lungs expanded beneath his weight. When I exhaled he sucked my breath in and his weight turned from cold marble into warm living flesh.   Since accepting a teaching position at remote Fairwick College in upstate New York, Callie McFay has experienced the same disturbingly erotic dream every night: A mist enters her bedroom, then takes the shape of a virile, seductive stranger who proceeds to ravish her in the most toe-curling, wholly satisfying ways possible.

Perhaps these dreams are the result of her having written the bestselling book The Sex Lives of Demon Loversstately Victorian house that, at first sight, seemed to call her name.

But Callie soon realizes that her dreams are alarmingly real. She has a demon lover—an incubus—and he will seduce her, pleasure her, and eventually suck the very life from her. Then Callie makes another startling discovery: Her incubus is not the only mythical creature in Fairwick. As the tenured witches of the college and the resident fairies in the surrounding woods prepare to cast out the demon, Callie must accomplish something infinitely more difficult—banishing this supernatural lover from her heart.

I felt the first part was stronger than the second. It embodied the gothic romance spirit perfectly.And I almost felt like Dahlia Lamottes book "The Dark stranger" would have been a lot of fun to read. Maybe even more interesting than this one.

The second part only felt like it plodded along.

Callie was remarkably slow to figure out who was visiting her in the night. Yet she accepts the claims of her colleagues and neighbours being of the supernatural world

You would have thought with the kind of research she had done for her book she would have gotten a clue a long time before.

I started reading this book expecting another [bookcover:A Discovery of Witches|8667848] both feature main characters who writes thesis and have degrees.

But I actually liked the main character of TDL more than the one in ADoW.Even for the less perfect things in her.

Didnt really see the point of the character of her boyfriend Paul.He could have been written out entirely for all the impact he had on the plot. It was like he was only there for Callie to feel bad about her betraying his trust in her by being intimate with the incubus.

All in all this book was a decent read. But it didnt leave me with a lasting impression. More like meh..well it wasnt horrible

...but it could have been something pretty good if the author had kept up the great start of it. And since  Juliet Dark is a pseudonym for Carol Goodman I know she can write better.